You would think you know what is hiding under all that fabric. Well let me tell you, it is nothing like you'd expect. The ENTIRE chair is held together by staples. Just staples. Nothing more, next time you look at a chair just imagine it as one big ginormous staple because that is all it is. Under all the fancy tufting and beautiful patterns is just a big staple. When I started this I was pulling out every single staple.
Then my mom came into the garage and asked why I was being so careful with the pulling out of the staples. Apparently, you don’t need to be so careful with the pulling out the staples. The staples apparently can be pulled out at a later time. You can just kind of rip off the fabric.
This week I pulled off the bottom fabric which is basically a dust cover type of fabric. It is not necessary to to keep this piece for a later because you do not need create a pattern for this piece as I will cut the fabric in the size needed and fold in the raw edges.
I also pulled off the back piece of fabric which I needed to be much more careful with because in two weeks, I will need it to help me create my new pattern.
All in all, this week went fairly well. I still have some staples to pull but I plan on doing that next week when I pull off the front of the chair-uncovering more staples I’m sure!
I would have never have thought about doing a project like this, so good job Claire! Im super excited to see how your chair turns out and what you have to say about the process of redoing this chair. Also good luck with the staples and the rest of the project!
ReplyDeleteI now have a different perspective on chairs! I think this is a great project. Is there any significance to the chair? Also do you know what the finished product is going to look like or are you just winging it? Best of luck in getting all those staples out! I'm excited to see the finished product.
ReplyDelete