Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Blog 2.1


This week was all about learning. I watched videos about quilting and watched my mom quilt. She is working on a strip quilt for my sister we cut strips of fabric for her quilt. The strips were cut five inches wide and 42 inches long.

I also observed my mom as she worked on the quilt below. This quilt has cats on it and the cats all have names such as Yammy-Cat, Catuliflower, and Avocatdo. These cats my mom made patterns for because she didn't want to buy the patterns for them. So she took the inspurration and created them herself. She has been working on this quilt for about a year. Lets hope I don't fall into the same boat as her.
Yammy-Cat
Avocatdo



After observing how my mom cut strips for her quilt I started cutting my own quilt My first quilt is the horse quilt. This quilt incorporates piecing as well as applique. The blocks around the edges are pieced. On my quilt the edges will be done in a rainbow of colors. My blocks are four inches by four inches. Last Thursday I traced my horse outline on a poster board and cut it out. After I cut my horse our I pinned it to my fabric and cut it out. As you can see below I forgot to take a picture with all the fabric pinned on the horse shape. Whoops!




3 comments:

  1. What a neat project! I have always wanted to try quilting but I have never taken the initiative to actually learn. Is is something that is difficult and takes time to learn? Or is it pretty easy to pick up on? I think your horse quilt is absolutely beautiful and I am excited to see what you make in the future. I also adored your cat puns. Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the horse quilt pattern! I have been quilting for about 7 years now and I absolutely love it. If you ever have any questions I can always help.

    How do you plan on quilting it? There are some really cool ways you and quilt a quilt to showcase the horse. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your cat puns while reading your blog. I also love how you are inspired by your mom's work, with reupholstering a chair and now quilting. I can tell you have a creative and hard working spirit. I can't wait to see what kind of work you will do with quilting, and I know you will so great.

    ReplyDelete