This week I stained my chair. On my chair I have wicker which apparently you are supposed dye rather than stain but why listen to those who have experience? I chose not to dye the wicker because I did not strip the original finish off instead I just lightly sanded the finish and went for it. I have done about four coats and a final coat of polyurethane for added shine. After doing all of this I think I should have probably stripped the chair but then I would have had to scrape it all off. My chair had some scratches where I wasn’t too nice to it on the concrete floor but, I left them because I did not strip my chair. Now it looks likes it has been part of a home rather than living in some grandmother’s house for many years.

Next week I am going to create a pattern for my chair and my buttons are already done. My moms friend has a machine which makes doing buttons a breeze, apparently because I didn’t actually do anything other than cut out a rectangle and sent it off. My pattern I think is going to be a bit more difficult because I am going to alter how my chair looked originally and make it a bit more modern. More on that next week!
I think it is so cool that you are learning how to do this. I also believe that it will be nice to have a nice chair when you are finished with your project, and you will also have a great new skill you can use throughout your life! What has been the hardest part so far?
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be making some real progress on the chair! Why do have to make special buttons for it? Also, when you are doing alterations do you plan on changing the frame of the chair or just the fabric designs?
ReplyDelete